Dr. Pilvi Torsti, Finland
Director of European Training Foundation
I believe education is the most efficient way to change the world in the long term.
I am Director of the European Training Foundation (ETF). I have served in leadership and expert roles in the fields of education, learning, research, science, innovation and public policy in Finland and globally since 1990s. I have worked in the public sector, founded early education start-up HEI Schools (2015) and co-founded United World College in Mostar (2006). I am a specialist on former Yugoslavia region and have lived overseas in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Italy and Nepal.
In addition to education issues, I have been involved in broad range of issues as a Member of the Parliament and State Secretary of three ministries in Finland. Such issues include employment, communication and network policy (5G), AI, digitalization, data politics, immigration, culture, and strategic planning of transport & climate policies. I am UWC graduate (1995) and Eisenhower Fellow (2013).
Recent publications and presentations
- Presentations and panels see here
- Editorial page article in Finnish main daily Helsingin Sanomat 15 March 2023. Vieraskynä: Suomen on valmisteltava 2040-luvun koulutusta jo nyt
- 3 series article on Global Education vision by Pilvi Torsti, Vishal Talreja ja Joanne McEachen in Diplomatic Courier 01-02/2023:
- Part1 We must adopt a global vision and curriculum to meet UN transforming education goals
- Part2 Key components of a global education vision
- Part3 Bringing a new global education vision to fruition
- Peace Agreement Ended the War but Created Permanent Crisis (article on Bosnia in Finnish 2022)
- The Future of Education. K12 discussion and HEI Schools presentation, Eisenhower Fellowships global conference Future of Education in Columbia (2020)
- David Sutcliffe. Pioneer of International Education. His Life, His Words and His Legacy (2021)
- Annual conference of schools heads and policymakers of Estonia (September 2021)
- 100 years of obligatory education in Finland (in Finnish)
Awards and recognitions
- Knight First Class (FWR K I), Order of the White Rose of Finland 2020
- Adjunct Professor of the Year 2020, University of Helsinki, Association of Adjunct Professors
- Ian Gourlay Award for Outstanding Contribution to Service and Peace, International Board of United World Colleges 2007
- Top Outstanding Young People Award in the Category “Enhancing the World Peace”, Junior Chamber of Commerce International in Finland, 2007